Residents with fire suppression coverage enjoy two benefits of the service:
- The comfort of knowing that trained personnel and the best available equipment will respond to a fire (thus protecting you and your neighbours).
- The substantial (in some cases up to 65%) decrease in home insurance premiums. In most instances, the discount offsets the cost of the service completely.
To obtain the recognition of the insurance industry and to best serve the community, each rural fire department in the Regional District must have:
- A fire hall
- A front-line pumper truck (Engine 1)
- A supporting tanker truck (Tender 1)
- A reliable dispatch and communications system
- A roster of trained and equipped members.
All firefighting apparatus, including vehicles, must meet stringent safety requirements.
CSRD fire departments are dispatched through the 911 program.
While the majority of residents are covered by a fire suppression service, portions of the Regional District are outside the boundaries of existing fire suppression areas. The CSRD will consider, on a case by case basis, extending the boundaries to those properties adjoining the existing service area.