Dog Control Services

CSRD Dog Licenses - Like an insurance policy for your pet

Purchasing a dog licence in Electoral Area C and the Ranchero area of Electoral Area D is one of the best things you can do to ensure your pet is returned to you. The licence identifies ownership information so the animal control officer can quickly return your pet to its family.

An Annual Dog Licence costs $10 per year and is valid from January 1 to December 31 in the year of purchase. Or you can buy an Annual Renewable Licence for a $50 one-time fee and it will renew automatically for the lifetime of your dog. 

See below for your payment options.

What we do

The CSRD uses the services of Commissionaires BC to provide dog control services in Electoral Area C (South Shuswap) and the Ranchero area of Electoral Area D as well as dangerous dog control in Electoral Area F (North Shuswap.)

Effective January 1, 2022, Dog Control Service will be extended to all of Electoral Area D. Click the button below for more information and answers to frequently asked questions about the expansion of dog control services.

View FAQs 

Commissionaires BC began providing Dog Control Services for the CSRD on February 4, 2019 for a three-year term, until February 28, 2022.

If you live in one of the Dog Control Service Areas, you can report a problem here:
Make a Dog Control Complaint

During business hours, residents can reach the Dog Control Service by calling the Commissionaires BC at 250.833.3436. Business hours are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday. Non-emergency dog control situations will be responded to on the next business day.

For after-hours emergency regarding dog control, please call the CSRD's on-call answering service at 1.877.996.3344. Please note that emergency dog control services include: vicious dog attacks on a person or animal, or dogs in medical distress. Dogs barking or running at large are considered non-emergency dog control situations.

Dog Control Program Information

The CSRD Dog Regulation and Impounding Bylaw outlines the dog control regulation for areas of the Regional District that have a dog control service established. Currently, there are two areas in the Regional District with full dog control:

The service is intended to promote responsible dog ownership, accountability and public safety. Dog control also allows residents to obtain a dog licence for their dog, report a stray, lost or found dog and report any dog that is dangerous or at large. Once the service is in effect for Electoral Area D, dog owners in that area will not be required to purchase a dog licence for their pet. Dog owners residing in Electoral Area C will still be responsible for purchasing a dog licence. 

The bylaw allows for owners to have a maximum of four dogs at any one place or property, unless the place or property is lawfully used in compliance with a Regional District zoning bylaw as a dog kennel or veterinary clinic.  

The CSRD Dangerous Dog Control Bylaw outlines the dangerous dog regulation.  The entire Electoral Area F has a dangerous dog control program in effect, which is strictly in response to dangerous dogs only.  

Please contact the SPCA for any concerns outside of bylaws or licensing such as animal cruelty.

Dog Licences

Dog owners in Electoral Area C and Ranchero can purchase a dog licence using the CSRD's online dog licensing program.  The online program makes it easier for dog owners to obtain a licence.  

Owners can now choose the type of licence they wish to purchase for their dog.  An Annual Dog Licence can be purchased each year and is valid from January 1 to December 31 in the year of purchase.  An Annual Renewable Dog Licence can be purchased for a one-time fee and will renew automatically each calendar year for the duration of the life of the dog for which it was issued. Owners are responsible to notify the CSRD when the ownership information for that dog changes. 

Currently, every dog (over the age of four months) who resides within Ranchero or Electoral Area C must be licensed. Licences are issued by the CSRD and must be purchased before January 31 in each calendar year or once a dog reaches the age of four months.

Type of Licence                                                                                                             Licence Fee
Annual Dog Licence Fee                                                                         $ 10
Annual Renewable Dog Licence Fee $ 50
Dog Tag Replacement Fee $5

Dog licensing within Electoral Area F is voluntary. If you are interested in licensing your dog in Area F, please contact the CSRD for further information.

Where to buy

Dog owners can now purchase a dog licence online, by phone or in person at the CSRD office.  

How Details Payment Method Accepted
Online Dog Licence Online Application Credit Card, Paypal
By Phone
(Through a one-time credit card transaction.)
Call 250.833.5950 and speak to a staff member about this option. Staff will email the client a One-Time Credit Card Authorization Request Form. Once completed, the client will email this form back to the CSRD with the supporting documents. Then the CSRD will complete the transaction and email the client a receipt. Credit Card
In Person  At the CSRD Office, 555 Harbourfront Drive NE, Salmon Arm Cash, Cheque, Credit card, Debit card, Money Order


If you have lost a dog or know your dog has been impounded, contact the Commissionaires BC directly during business hours by calling 250.833.3436. Business hours are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday.

Owners of impounded animals will need to contact Commissionaires BC by phone at 250.833.3436 during business hours to arrange for pick up. Any impoundment fees and kennel fees are the responsibility of the dog owner. Animals will not be released from the facility until fees are paid. The fee schedule is available in the bylaws at the link located at the bottom of the page.

Payment options include:

  • Cash payment directly to the Commissionaires BC Dog Control Officer;
  • Payment arrangements in-person at the CSRD office, located at 555 Harbourfront Drive NE, Salmon Arm. The office will accept cash, credit and debit transactions.

A receipt must be presented to retrieve your dog.

For any further information on dog control or licensing, please contact the CSRD.

Contact Us


Title Number Electoral Area
Ranchero Dog Control Service Establishment Bylaw No. 5095 5095
Electoral Area D