Frequently Asked Questions - Electoral Area D Dog Control

On August 19, 2021, the CSRD Board voted unanimously to adopt two bylaws that would extend dog control service, without dog licensing, to the entirety of Electoral Area D. This expands the CSRD's previous dog control service for Ranchero only. As part of the new regulations, there is no requirement for dog licensing in Electoral Area D. This area includes Falkland, Silver Creek, Ranchero, Deep Creek, Gardom Lake and the Salmon Valley.

The CSRD bylaws include provisions for dealing with aggressive dogs, as well as complaints with excessive barking or roaming dogs. Included in Electoral Area D Dog Control Regulatory Bylaw No. 5832 is an exemption for livestock guardian dogs on properties classified as farms under the Assessment Act.

With the adoption of the bylaws, the implementation of dog control services for Electoral Area D will begin on January 1, 2022

The taxation cost to Electoral Area D residents for the expanded dog control service is estimated at $24.37 per year for the average residential property, which has an assessed value of $354,905.

After January 1, 2022, all of Electoral Area D dog complaints may be reported using our online service below.

Report a dog complaint

Or residents can phone: 250.833.3436 to reach dog control. 


For more information on how this may affect you, see the FAQs below. 



What is the role of an Animal Control Officer?

Animal Control Officers are trained personnel appointed by the Columbia Shuswap Regional District (CSRD) to enforce regulatory bylaws within their jurisdiction.

After January 1, 2022, Electoral Area D residents will notice BC Commissionaires vehicles and Animal Control Officers outfitted with appropriate identification and uniforms in their community.

Whereas Animal Protection Officers (SPCA) act for the safety of animals, Animal Control Officers are charged with the responsibility of protecting people by ensuring compliance with bylaws promoting the security and safety of domestic dogs.

Animal Control Officers DO…

  • Support and encourage responsible dog ownership. We maintain and operate a regional dog control shelter for lost or found dogs.
  • Seek voluntary compliance and cooperation from owners during the investigative process;
  • Respond to citizen complaints for a broad range of dog-related concerns, such as abandoned or roaming dogs, barking, or aggressive behavior;
  • Typically give verbal or written warnings prior to issuance of tickets or impoundment, with the exceptions being serious injury to people or livestock.

Animal Control Officers DO NOT…

  • Have ticketing quotas, nor are they directed to generate revenue through ticketing;
  • Earn commissions on any revenue generated by their enforcement actions;
  • Impound a roaming dog without attempting to locate the owner;
  • Deal with concerns relating to other domesticated animals or wildlife.
Can an Animal Control Officer enter private property?

Yes. An Animal Control Officer will attempt to contact a property owner prior to entering, by means of knocking on a front door or ringing a doorbell. However, the officer can legally enter private property at all reasonable times to inspect and verify compliance with applicable bylaws.

  • Entry of property does not include entering dwellings, residences, or other locked buildings.
  • “Reasonable times” typically means during business hours on weekdays.

The authority to enter private property is provided to Animal Control Officers and Bylaw Enforcement Officers under Section 284 of the Local Government Act, Section 16 of the Community Charter and Section 8 of the CSRD Bylaw Enforcement Policy (A-69).

Why can a dog be impounded by Animal Control?

Any dog unlawfully running “At Large” may be impounded by the Animal Control Officer.

Please note that the Animal Control Officer will always make attempts to return a dog to its owner prior to impoundment.

Dogs deemed as Dangerous Dogs under Section 49 of the Community Charter may be seized due to a serious injury or near-miss incident.

What does “At Large” mean?

If a dog is running at large, it means the dog is not at the place or property of the owner and is not under the immediate control of the owner.

If a dog is impounded by Dog Control, will it be euthanized after 72 hours?

If an impounded dog remains unclaimed for 72 hours and is eligible for adoption, it will be transferred into the custody of the SPCA Shuswap Branch.

Humane euthanasia under Section 49 of the Community Charter will only be considered if a Dangerous Dog has killed or seriously injured a person or domestic livestock, or if an Animal Control Officer had reasonable grounds to believe the dog was likely to kill or seriously injure a person. The destruction of a dog involves a legal process. It can only be accomplished after a Provincial court order has been obtained.

Is there a maximum number of dogs that I can own?

A person cannot have more than four (4) dogs over the age of four months at any one place or property unless the animals are in compliance with a zoning bylaw, such as a Dog Kennel or Veterinary Clinic.

My dogs bark to protect my livestock – will I face fines for noise?

No, there is an exemption for Livestock Guardian Dogs. For the exemption to be valid, the dog must reside on a parcel with livestock, and which is classified as a farm under the BC Assessment Act.

Are Dog Licences required?

Dog Licences and/or Kennel Licences will not be required. This decision was made based on wanting to keep costs low for residents and dog owners.

Can I voluntarily licence my dog in Electoral Area D?

No. Voluntary dog licensing has not been included in the Bylaw, so there is no option to purchase a licence for a dog in Electoral Area D at this time.