Subdivision FAQs


How do I apply for subdivision?

A dual application process is in effect within the CSRD. This process is designed to speed up the CSRD commentary function by permitting application detail to be submitted directly to the Development Services Department. CSRD application forms, duly completed with three copies of the proposed subdivision plan and fees (see below), are submitted directly to the CSRD office. Please check with CSRD staff to ensure that all support information is attached.

A separate application form and support information process is required by the Approving Officer with the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure. Please check with your local Transportation office for details.

How do I know if I can subdivide my land?

The CSRD has adopted zoning and rural land use bylaws which may apply to your land. These bylaws establish parcel sizes, exceptions, configuration, amenity and service requirements which must be adhered to when designing a subdivision. The CSRD has also adopted the Subdivision Servicing Bylaw No. 680, which provides details of construction standards for community water systems as well as onsite water provision requirements.

In the initial stages of planning a subdivision, it is wise to contact the CSRD Development Services Department for bylaw information. The Ministry of Transportation office should also be contacted for regulations pursuant to the Local Services Act which will establish parcel and servicing requirements for areas outside of local bylaw application. The Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure also provides detailed information on road grades and alignments and may be able to advise you with respect to the need and nature of geological or hazard assessment.The Interior Health Authority will also be involved in the subdivision process, as your proposed parcels will be subject to sanitary sewage disposal regulations. In the case of a community collection system, the Ministry of Environment may also be involved.

If your land is within the Agricultural Land Reserve as established by the Provincial Agricultural Land Commission (PALC), you cannot subdivide unless you have received prior approval from the PALC, or if the proposed subdivision meets the requirements as set out in Section 5. Permitted Subdivisions, of B.C. Reg. 171/2002 of the Agricultural Land Commission Act.

An "Applicant Information Package" for Agricultural Land Reserve applications is available from the CSRD Development Services Department, which outlines the approval process.  The average approval may take from three to six months to finalize and may vary according to the complexities of the specific proposal.  Local government offices must be contacted for information and approval processes regarding a subdivision proposal within individual jurisdiction areas.

What other information will I need for a subdivision application?

Subdivision Servicing Bylaw 680 details the information required in support of a subdivision application.

Prior to submitting a subdivision application, you may wish to contact the Water Management Branch of the Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource Operations for surface water supply potential.  You may wish to obtain a copy of the certificate of title for the property from the Land Title Office to check for easements, legal notations or Restrictive Covenant details.

This information is intended as a guideline only. While we have done our best to ensure the accuracy of the list of government agencies and land use matters covered in this section, we cannot assume liability arising from reliance on information contained herein.

What services must I provide on subdivision?

The CSRD Subdivision Servicing Bylaw 680 determines the level and standard of construction of such services as the provision of water. The Development Services staff will provide assistance in determining servicing requirements of a local nature.  

Local municipalities may have different standards that must be met when piped water and sewer systems are being built. Your local municipality can provide information for proposals within municipal boundaries.

One requirement that may be placed on subdivision is the dedication of land for parks. Section 510 of the Local Government Act determines when park dedication is required, local plans are used to pre-locate land to be dedicated and Board policy provides attribute detail.  Another requirement of subdivision may be the payment of development cost charges towards a water system that may service your lots now or in the future. Development cost charge information is available from the CSRD or the applicable water works supplier.

The Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure establishes the requirements for road widths, grade, ditching, pavement and other similar services and will be instrumental in the early stages of planning and costing a subdivision proposal.