Development Application Forms & Guides

Considering Development?

If you are contemplating new development or re-development of an existing property, it is important to check the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw for your area. Depending on the nature of your proposal there may be different approval processes that apply. If you are planning any of the following planning and development activities, please contact the Development Services Department to determine if your project requires an application or any other approvals prior to submitting your application:

  • changing a use on the property
  • constructing/renovating buildings and structures
  • landscaping (i.e. planting, removing or altering vegetation; constructing retaining structures; and, creating hard surfaces such as landscaping tiles or pavement)
  • installing structures on the foreshore (i.e. dock or private mooring buoy)
  • installing works for flood protection​

Online Mapping and Property Information

Search for properties, zoning and OCP information, create property reports and maps, and apply for a house number using the Online Mapping and Property Information tool. The web-based program displays a compilation of spatial and non-spatial data, managed mostly by the CSRD. It also includes BC Assessment information as well as imagery and other base maps. 

View Map


Forms and Guides
Development Application Form

Please note that there is one Development Application Form for the following application types: Board of Variance (BOV), Development Permit (DP), Development Variance Permit (DVP), Floodplain Exemption, Official Community Plan Amendment (OCP) Amendment, Temporary Use Permit (TUP), and Rezoning (you can apply for more than one application on the same form). Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), Retail Cannabis Sales, and Subdivision, all have a different application forms. See separate application processes, guides, and forms listed below. 

Agricultural Land Reserve Application

The Provincial Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) is an independent Crown agency dedicated to protecting the scarce supply of agricultural land that is important to the current and future needs of British Columbia. Properties within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) are subject to the rules and regulations of the Agricultural Land Commission Act. Farming is encouraged and non-agricultural uses are controlled. The ALR takes precedence over, but does not replace other legislation and bylaws that may apply to the land. If you wish to alter ALR boundaries or develop for non-farm use, you are required to apply to the ALC for approval.

Apply to the ALC
Board of Variance Application

The Board of Variance (BOV) functions independently of the CSRD Board of Directors and consists of three (3) members. A BOV is a method of seeking relief from criteria established in specified bylaws in all Electoral Areas and BOV applications must be based on hardship. You must be able to demonstrate that strict adherence to a regulation would cause undue hardship.

Development Permit Application

An Official Community Plan (OCP) may designate Development Permit Areas for environmental protection, protection of development from hazardous conditions, and to guide the form and character of commercial, industrial or multi-family residential development. A Development Permit (DP) sets forth conditions under which residential, commercial, or industrial developments may take place. Once issued, it becomes binding on the existing and future owners of the property. Depending on the type of DP it must be issued by either the Manager of Development Services or the CSRD Board of Directors. 

Foreshore and Water Development Permit Application

Persons who intend to construct a dock, swimming platform, or install a mooring buoy should discuss their plans with CSRD staff to determine whether a Development Permit (DP) is required. They should also contact Front Counter BC for all dock approvals. 

Development Variance Permit Application

A Development Variance Permit (DVP) is a permit issued by the CSRD Board of Directors that varies regulations of a Zoning Bylaw or Subdivision Servicing Bylaw; however, it may not vary the permitted uses, densities, or floodplain regulations of a Zoning Bylaw. 

Floodplain Exemption Application

The CSRD Board has, in its zoning and land use bylaws, designated certain land as flood plain and has established flood construction levels and flood plain setback requirements in relation to those areas. Adhering to flood plain setbacks and flood plain construction levels helps to reduce the threat of flood damage to a property. Landowners may make applications for an exemption from the CSRD flood plain requirements for a particular area.

Official Community Plan Amendment Application

An Official Community Plan (OCP) amendment application is required when the current designation does not permit the proposed use of the property. 

Retail Cannabis Sales Application

The process of issuing licenses for both cannabis production and retail sales is under the authority of the provincial and federal government. But local governments, like the CSRD, have been given the chance to provide recommendations to the BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch on proposed retail sales license applications and feedback to Health Canada on production facility applications.

The CSRD's process for dealing with Cannabis-Related Businesses differs depending if you are looking for a retail license to sell cannabis products or a production license to grow cannabis. 

Rezoning Application

A rezoning application (also known as a bylaw amendment) is an application that is approved or rejected by the CSRD Board of Directors to amend or supplement a Zoning Bylaw; it may amend the permitted uses or densities of land prescribed by existing regulations. 

Subdivision Application

You must apply to both the CSRD and Ministry of Transportation (MOT) for subdivision. A subdivision involves the following; consolidating two or more properties into one lot; adjusting or realigning an existing property line; creating several lots from one or more existing properties and or creating several strata lots from one or more existing properties. If you are new to subdividing, we strongly suggest that you hire an agent to work with you on your proposal; you may choose a BC Land Surveyor, an engineer, or a development consultant. You can also contact your district MOT Office for more help. 

Apply to CSRD
Apply to MOT
Temporary Use Permit Application

A Temporary Use Permit (TUP) may be considered by the CSRD Board of Directors to allow specific land uses to occur for a short period of time. The permit can contain very detailed requirements such as indicating the buildings that can be used, the time frame of the permit, and other conditions.

Through the Local Government Act, Official Community Plans (OCPs) may designate areas where TUPs are considered. In the CSRD, TUPs are supported for Electoral Areas B, D, and F.