Proposed Electoral Area E OCP & Zoning Bylaws

Important considerations regarding Building Permit and Development Permit applications with respect to the proposed Electoral Area E (Rural Sicamous) Bylaw No. 840 (OCP) and Bylaw No. 841 (Zoning).

This applies to anyone looking to apply for a building permit in the fall of 2021.

The planned date of adoption for the proposed new Electoral Area E Official Community Plan (OCP) and new Zoning Bylaw is January 20, 2022. This is subject to adoption of the bylaws by the CSRD Board of Directors. 

Pending approval, the start date for implementation of both bylaws will be March 1, 2022. From this date, all new construction and development must comply with the new bylaws.

New construction that does not comply with Bylaw No. 841 requires a Building Permit to be issued before March 1, 2022 in order to achieve “commitment to use” and become “lawfully non-conforming.” A lawfully non-conforming building, structure or use is one that is lawfully in existence before the new zoning bylaw comes into effect.  A building permit can provide proof of non-conforming status.

Please note: Rural Sicamous Land Use Bylaw No. 2000 still applies to the western portion of Electoral E (see extent map below) – any new construction proposed within this area must still comply with Bylaw No. 2000 until it is replaced by Bylaw No. 841.

Applicants seeking to achieve commitment to use must apply before December 9, 2021. Only applications deemed complete by the Building Department will be accepted.

The Building Department will strive to issue permits before March 1, 2022, but the onus is on the applicant to provide any additional information required by the Building Inspector in a timely manner.

No Development Permits are required for building permits issued prior to March 1, 2022, but the Building Inspector may require other Provincial requirements to be completed prior to issuing the permit.  Examples include: Agricultural Land Commission approval, reports/documentation about hazardous areas, septic, riparian area protection, etc.

Please direct questions regarding the current zoning bylaw, proposed zoning bylaw/OCP, commitment to use, and lawful non-conforming status to:

Jan Thingsted, Planner III
Tel: 250.833.5918 

Please direct questions regarding the building permitting process to:

Tel: 250.832.8194