The Columbia Shuswap Regional District Board of Directors and staff are deeply saddened by the losses from the devastating fire at Quaaout Lodge on May 22.
We are grateful all people and pets were able to escape the fire safely. We recognize and appreciate the dedicated efforts of staff, first responders and firefighters who worked to keep everyone safe. Tremendous efforts were also made to protect the conference centre and the many important cultural artifacts located inside.
Our thoughts are with Kukpi7 James Tomma and all the members of the Little Shuswap Lake Band during this time of shock and sadness. We wish to pass on a message of support and caring to those affected by the destruction of the guest wing of the facility.
As good neighbours do in times of need, the CSRD’s Shuswap Emergency Program was happy to assist the Little Shuswap Lake Band Emergency Program with their requests to help some of the evacuated families find temporary accommodations in Salmon Arm.
This loss is felt by the entire region, both from an economic and cultural perspective. We are pleased to hear from Kukpi7 Tomma that plans to rebuild are already top of mind. It is our hope to offer our continued support during the restoration effort.