BC Wildfire service was reporting a challenging day in the Shuswap on all fires yesterday, but winds are continuing to move fires away from Shuswap communities.
White Rock Lake
- The White Rock Lake Fire is the top priority fire in the province, with the most resources dedicated to it. This includes air support, ground crews, heavy machinery and structure protection units.
- At the Falkland Community Fire Information meeting last evening, Incident Commander Mark Healey noted the extreme drought conditions, calling this year’s fire situation a catastrophic event.
- He also noted citizens on Evacuation Alert need to be vigilant and prepared, as the size and scope of this fire means the situation could change rapidly.
- Structure protection personnel are prepared to defend areas such as Westwold, Falkland, Cedar Hills, and Pinaus Lake.
- A thermal imaging scan was completed providing locations of hot spot targets that crews will continue to work on.
- Crews are mopping up and patrolling the area to the west and north sides of the fire, nearest to the community of Seymour Arm.
Crazy Creek Gorge FSR Fire
- There was a drone observed in the vicinity of the Crazy Creek Gorge FSR recently. This compromises suppression efforts and halts air operations. This type of activity is extremely dangerous and poses a significant safety risk to personnel, especially when low-flying firefighting aircraft are present.
- Crews have also started working directly on the fire perimeter, heading upslope from Pete Martin Bay.
- Work continues on a machine-made contingency guard, further south from the fire. This would help limit the growth southwards down the Anstey Arm.
Three Valley Lake Fire
- Much of this fire is burning is steep and unworkable ground that is unsafe for firefighters to work on.
- Helicopters will be sent to bucket on this fire if required and conditions allow.
- Smoke from this incident is visible from the Trans-Canada Highway and the Three Valley Gap tourist area. Motorists travelling on this highway are being asked to not slow down or stop.