Friday, August 6, 2021
- The White Rock Lake fire has grown significantly over the past 24 hours. The fire is now estimated at 45,000 hectares.
- There has been a tactical evacuation of 10 properties in the Six Mile Creek Road area and an official Evacuation Order was issued at 17:00 Hours for that area. Residents may not return.
- The top priority for the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is human life and safety. If you have received an Evacuation Order, please leave the area immediately.
- With the permissions of BC Wildfire Service, the CSRD was able to issue approximately 54 temporary access permits back into the Evacuation Order area during a three-hour window to feed livestock, maintain critical infrastructure or pick up pets. This ended at 14:00 Hours.
- Moving forward, NO residents will be allowed back until BC Wildfire deems it safe. Monitor our website for any additional information.
- This growth has been predominantly in the northeastern and eastern flanks, with some growth along the southeast flank. The most northern flank is approximately 13 kilometres southeast of Pritchard.
- The most southeastern fire perimeter is approximately five kilometers west of Westside Road.
- The winds have been stronger and more sustained than previously predicted. This evening, gusts upwards of 40 km/hr are expected. This will significantly impact fire growth and behaviour.
- Resources on this fire include: 99 wildland firefighters, 125 structure protection personnel, 13 helicopters, 8 danger tree assessors/fallers, 51 pieces of heavy equipment, a BC Wildfire Service Incident Management Team and support staff.
- The structure protection branch consists of 125 structure protection personnel from more than 20 fire departments. Personnel are remaining on site overnight to ensure 24-hour coverage for Structure Protection.
- Special mobile firefighting teams are prepared to defend Falkland, Cedar Hills and Pinaus Lake.
- Structure protection units can be effective in reducing wildfire threats to some types of buildings, however, defending structures from a wildfire will not be possible in every situation.
This will be the last update of the evening unless the fire situation changes significantly.