Monday, August 2, 2021
White Rock Lake
- The section of the fire of most concern to the Falkland area is the northeast of the fire perimeter. In that area, crews and heavy equipment are continuing to work along a stretch of machine guard to contain fire that comes down the ridge line. They are constructing a fuel-free, hand-built fire guard to tie together pre-established control lines along this flank.
- Precipitation has helped fire efforts, however, the moisture will not last long as temperatures are predicted to rise again and return to 30+ degrees.
- Smoky conditions continue to impact the ability of the BC Wildfire Service to map and fight the fire from the air.
Two Mile Fire
- Crews are making excellent progress on the northwest flank above the community with the objective to keep fire high on the slope away from the community below. Crews are securing flanks on the southeast from Hummingbird Creek along Hwy 97A to the northwest.
- Evacuation Orders and Alerts continue to be re-assessed on a daily basis.
Crazy Creek Gorge FSRD
- Fire behaviour remains aggressive, although BC Wildfire Service reports they are happy with how rainfall has helped to dampen down activity.
- Due to thick smoke in the area and close to zero visibility BCWS has not been able to map the fire perimeter and is utilizing satellite imagery to determine fire size and growth patterns.
- There are 27 firefighters and two helicopters assigned to the fire, although thick smoke continues to prevent aerial firefighting efforts.
- Crews continue to secure northwest corner of the fire, protecting structures and the community.
- Within Seymour Arm, 38 properties have been identified and now have sprinklers on them. Some properties have been “FireSmarted” with the assistance of local fire crews and now have their own sprinklers operating. This has freed up equipment to help protect other properties.
Three Valley Lake
- BCWS plan to use an Initial Attack Crew on the west side of the fire to help prevent any advance towards the Trans-Canada Highway.
This will be the last update for August 2, unless fire conditions change significantly.