The evacuation alert issued by the Columbia Shuswap Regional District on April 7, 2017 has now been rescinded effective Thursday, August 15, 2019.
The alert, which was put in place due to the Handy Brook landslide, affected the following properties:
- 4459 Sunnybrae Canoe Point Road
- 4467 Sunnybrae Canoe Point Road
- 4473 Sunnybrae Canoe Point Road
- 4487 Sunnybrae Canoe Point Road.
Significant time has elapsed since the Handy Brook slide occurred in 2017. No subsequent incidents have taken place and the affected residents have been suitably notified of the potential hazards in the area.
In addition, current conditions in the area are much less dynamic than during the spring freshet period.
Owners, tenants or visitors to these properties should continue to monitor and immediately report any of the following observations:
- Perceived increase or a sudden drastic reduction in stream flow;
- Visible increase and sustained turbidity in the stream;
- Noises that indicate earth movement, rolling rocks, channel material mobilization or tree roots cracking;
- Any other unusual earth movement of stream channel migration.
For further information, please contact Tom Hansen, Emergency Program Coordinator, at 250.833.5910.
Photo below: An image from the Handy Brook Slide area taken in 2017. (CSRD photo)