*Select dropdown to filter by "FAQ Types"

Building Regulation & Inspection

Do I need a building permit for a cannabis production facility?

Yes. All facilities used for the production and distribution of cannabis are required to obtain a building permit prior to construction.

Do I need a building permit for a farm building?

An amendment adopted by the CSRD Board on May 16, 2019, exempts farm buildings with low-occupancy uses such as housing animals or storing farm supplies from requiring a building permit. These farm buildings can not be used for human habitation, office space or other commercial or industrial operations. It also does not exempt cannabis production facilities from requiring a building permit.

How do Building Inspections protect the public health and safety?

Buildings are complex, particularly when they include plumbing, electrical wiring, and connections to drinking water and septic systems. The BC Building Code establishes minimum requirements that are designed to help keep occupants safe and healthy. When followed, the requirements help to ensure that buildings:

  • Are structurally sound, with proper building frames and foundations
  • Provide adequate fire protection
  • Address issues concerning radon gas
  • Provide adequate exits in the event of emergencies
  • Are equipped with proper plumbing for safe drinking water and liquid waste disposal
  • Minimize hazards to prevent accidents.

All Buildings are required to be constructed to the BC Building Code. Only buildings in area with building inspection, however, are subject to the consistent and high level of oversight required, at key points of the construction process, to ensure that the Code is met and safety standards upheld.

How do I arrange a Building Inspection?

A building inspection must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of the day you would like the inspection to occur by contacting the Building Department at (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194 or  email buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca). You may request an inspection in the AM or PM, but this may not be possible to accommodate depending on inspection demand and workload.

How does an owner apply for a building permit?

Building permit applications are available online at the CSRD website (www.csrd.bc.ca) or can be picked up from the CSRD office in Salmon Arm (555 Harbourfront Drive NE). Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to submit their permit applications in person so that they can be reviewed by staff for completeness. Property owners can contact in the Building Department in advance (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca) to answer any questions, or to book an appointment with a Building Inspector.

How will inspections be carried out in remote locations throughout in EA B, EA C and EA E?

A building inspector may request that inspections in remote locations, such as water access only or backcountry construction sites, be completed by a registered professional hired by the property owner.  If requested, the building inspectors will rely solely on the provided letters of assurance, field reviews and site photo’s that the registered professional submits as long as all aspects of the construction referenced by the those letters of assurance substantially conform to the design, plans and specifications, and the construction complies with the Building Code, Building Bylaw No. 660, CSRD bylaws and other applicable enactments respecting safety.

Anyone who is unsure whether a project is a remote location is encouraged to contact the Building Department (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca).

In what new Electoral Areas (EAs) are Building Permits (BPs) required?

The newest area to require BP’s and inspections is Electoral Area C (South Shuswap) which began the service on March 4, 2019.

As of March 5, 2018, BPs and inspections are required in Electoral Area B (Rural Revelstoke) and Electoral Area E (Rural Sicamous). Building inspections continue to be required in Electoral Area F (North Shuswap) in the communities of Lee Creek, Scotch Creek, Celista, Magna Bay, Anglemont and St. Ives.  A map of the areas where building permits are required can be viewed here.

Is a building permit required for a structure that is under construction when the service takes effect?

No building permit is required for new single-family buildings and accessory buildings that are under construction when the service is introduced, provided that concrete footings, built in compliance with the Building Code, are poured prior before the amended service bylaw takes effect. A property owner in this situation needs to submit proof to the CSRD to confirm that the concrete footings were poured prior to the date of service commencement. Proof may include, at a minimum, information such as an email stating the date on which the pour occurred, combined with a time-stamped picture of the pouring, and a copy of the concrete delivery receipt. To be clear, future additions to buildings that exist prior to the introduction of building inspection will require building permits.

What are the building permit fees?

Building permit fees are used to recover a portion of the cost to provide the service. Service costs are also recovered, in part, using property taxes from each Electoral Area in which the service is provided. Building permit fees consist of an application fee and the building permit fee. The application fee is a flat amount that is paid at the time of submission. The permit fee is based on the value of the construction, and is paid prior to the issuance of the building permit. All fees related to building permits are outlined in Schedule A of the CSRD Building Regulation Bylaw, No. 660, and are the same across all Electoral Areas with building inspection. At present (June, 2018), the fees are as follows:

– The application fee is $72 for a single-family dwelling, and $288 for multi-family, commercial, institutional or industrial buildings

– The permit fee is calculated as follows:​

  • $72 for first $1,000 of construction value
  • $7.20 for each additional $1,000 of value, up to $100,000
  • $6.00 for each additional $1,000 of value over $100,000

For a single-family dwelling with a construction value of $300,000, the total fees would be $2,057 ($72 of which may be credited back to the homeowner).

All fees related to BPs can be found in Schedule A of the Building Bylaw No. 660.

What can I do if I am concerned about my neighbor who may be constructing without a building permit?

Residents can contact the Building Department (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca) to enquire if a building permit may be required for the construction that is occurring.  Residents can also submit a complaint to report construction work being carried out without the required permits through the CSRD online complaint form or contact a CSRD Bylaw Officer (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or enforcement@csrd.bc.ca).  Complainant information is considered confidential by the CSRD and your identity will not be revealed (it is protected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act).  Should the matter proceed to court, however, and if required in the legal proceedings, the CSRD may be obligated to disclose the information provided.

What days will inspections be available in our area?

Building inspections will be available in each of the four EA areas two days per week. Building Official availability will be adjusted for inspection demand and workload. The building inspection days in EA F will remain Tuesdays and Thursdays.  The building inspection days for EA E and EA B will be Tuesday and Thursday to start and will be re-evaluated depending on number of applications.

What do the new six inspections cover?

The required six (6) building inspections are:

  1. Footing construction (before concrete)
  2. Prebackfill
  3. Under slab plumbing rough-in
  4. Framing construction
  5. Insulation, vapour barrier, and air barrier
  6. Final Inspection

What happens in EA F if my current BP that was issued under the previous Building Regulation Bylaw No. 630 (three inspections) expires and is renewed after the new Building Bylaw No. 660 (six inspections) is effective March 5, 2018?

The renewed BP will require three inspections.

What is a Site Disclosure Statement?

As of February 1, 2021, all rezoning, development permit and building permit applications are required by the Province of BC to include a completed Provincial Site Disclosure Statement (SDS) completed by the property owner. Your CSRD application will not be processed until the completed SDS is received.

The purpose of the Provincial Contaminated Sites Regulation and Site Disclosure Statement is to bring potentially contaminated sites to the attention of the Province. This is to ensure these sites are investigated and that contaminated areas are remediated before reuse or redevelopment. 

What is Building Inspection?

Building inspection is a service through which local governments regulate the construction of buildings. A property owner who wishes to construct a building in an area with building inspection is required to obtain, prior to construction beginning, the local government's approval to build. Approval is given in the form of a building permit, for which the property owner must apply. Permits are issued when the local government has confirmed, through its review of the submitted building plans, that the proposed structure complies with the technical standards in the BC Building Code, and the planning regulations in the applicable OCP and zoning bylaw. At various points of the construction process, inspections must be arranged by the property owner with a building Inspector from the local government. At each inspection, the Inspector confirms that the standards of the BC BuildingCode, and the relevant land use regulations, are indeed being met.

What is the building permit process?

There are five steps in the full process:

>Step 1: Application – The property owner submits a complete application (including plans and required supporting documents) that details the type of construction, alteration or repair, along with the value of the proposed work. At this time the Building Permit application fee of $72 is paid.

>Step 2: Permit Review – The application and plans are reviewed by CSRD staff for compliance with the BC Building Code, zoning bylaw regulations, and development permit guidelines in the OCP. If a development permit is necessary, the property owner is contacted. Compliance with other agency approval processes (e.g., septic system processes through Interior Health) is also reviewed.

>Step 3: Permit Issuance – Once the review is complete, the property owner is contacted to pick up the permit and pay the total permit fee and security deposit (pursuant to Building Regulation Bylaw, No. 660). The permit is required to be posted conspicuously on site, legible from the road, during the entire construction process. All plans, specifications and supporting documents on which the permit was based, all inspection certificates, and all professional field reviews are to be available on-site during normal working hours.

>Step 4: Inspections – The CSRD performs six (6) on-site building inspection at key points of construction process. Wherever possible, inspections are conducted within 48 hours of being requested by the property owners.

>Step 5: Occupancy – Once the final inspection is completed successfully, and all outstanding documentation is submitted, the CSRD issues an Occupancy Certificate.

Anyone who is unsure about the BP process is encouraged to contact the Building Department  (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca).

What is the time period between issuance and expiry of a building permit?

Once a building permit is issued construction will need to begin within six (6) months from the date of issuance. Construction cannot be suspended for a period of more than six (6) months, and must be completed within a period of three (3) years. If these conditions are not met, the permit will expire.

For a project on which construction has been ongoing, the property owner may renew a permit, prior to expiry, for an extended period of up to 12 months. Only one renewal is permitted. The completion of additional forms and fees may be required. 

What other permits (in addition to a building permit) may be required?

The CSRD may require other permits, such as a development permit, depending on the type and location of the construction project. Development permit (DP) areas are identified in the Area B, Area C, and Area F Official Community Plans (OCPs), and the draft Area E OCP (see CSRD website to view OCPs and information about DPs). DP areas are established for land with environmental significance (such as lakefront, foreshore or riparian areas) or hazardous conditions (e.g., steep slopes or flood areas). Other development permit areas are created to ensure that the character of commercial and multi-family developments are developed in accordance with the community vision as expressed in the OCP). Construction within development permit areas must follow guidelines to ensure development is safe for the use intended, that environmental areas are identified and protected and that the character is consistent with the community vision. As part of the building permit review, Building staff will confirm whether any DPs are required. A DP is required to be issued by the CSRD prior to a building permit being issued.

Anyone who is unsure whether a project requires a development permit is encouraged to contact the Building Department (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca).

When did the Building Inspection service start in Electoral Area C? When did it start in Electoral Areas B and E? When did it start in Electoral Area F?

The building inspection service started in Electoral Area C on March 4, 2019.

The building inspection service started in Electoral Areas B and E on March 5, 2018.

The building inspection service started in Electoral Area F in 2001 for the communities Lee Creek, Scotch Creek, Celista, Magna Bay, Anglemont and St. Ives. 

A map of the areas where building permits are required can be viewed here.


When is a building permit NOT required?

If a construction project involves no structural changes and no relocation or installation of new plumbing fixtures, then no building permit or plumbing permit is required. In addition, certain types of structures will be exempt, including:

  • one storey accessory buildings that are under 10m2 in size, are not used for habitation, and do not create a hazard
  • non-structural repairs such as window replacements (same size windows), roof updates, kitchen renovations with  no movement of plumbing fixtures, finishing of basement with flooring and non-structural (not including creation of secondary suite)
  • patios, decks or balconies that are less than 2 feet (0.61m) off the ground
  • repairs or minor alterations to the plumbing system or fixtures that do not affect the venting or sewerage system
  • landscaping retaining walls below 1.22 m in height that do not support loads created by buildings or parking areas
  • construction of , utility poles and towers and public infrastructure systems (as identified in Section of the BC Building Code
  • un-modified CSA Z240 RV or un-modified CSA Z241 Park Model

Anyone who is unsure whether a project requires a permit is encouraged to contact the Building Department (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca).

When is a building permit required?

Any property owner who wishes to undertake construction in Areas B, E ,F (five communities), and C on March 4, 2019 will need to apply for and receive a building permit (and, in most cases, a plumbing permit too) before commencing construction. Building permits are required for most construction, demolition and excavation, including:

  • Construction of a house, townhouse, commercial and industrial building
  • construction of accessory buildings, including most garages and sheds
  • demolition of a building
  • significant alteration to or repair of an existing building (e.g. structural changes, electrical updates, construction of a second floor deck, moving of plumbing)
  • changes to the use or occupancy of an existing building (e.g. from a garage to a dwelling, or from a residence to a commercial use)
  • relocation of a building
  • alterations that affect a venting or sewer- age system
  • installation of a factory-built or manufactured building
  • installation of a temporary building

Anyone who is unsure whether a project requires a BP is encouraged to contact the Building Department  (1.888.248.2773 or 250.832.8194; or buildingpermit@csrd.bc.ca).

Where can I find information on the BC Building Code?

Effective Wednesday, August 14, 2019, online versions of the BC Building, Plumbing and Fire Codes are available free of charge. 

Access to these BC Code documents are available now at: www.bcpublications.ca.

Why are six inspections required?

When creating the new building regulation and inspection service, the CSRD considered the existing building inspection service provided in part of EA F, as well as practices in other communities and best practices on implementing the BC Building Code. The CSRD decided on inspections at six stages of construction, as six is considered the minimum number necessary to adequately ensure adherence to the BC Building Code. By comparison, Revelstoke and Salmon Arm require eight inspections (not including for fireplaces); Sicamous requires eight.


How are the rates set on the utility bill? Will they increase?

The Operations Department sets the rates through bylaws, and they are based upon the operational costs of the utility. In most cases, operational costs of the utility are paid from the user rates. 

The current Water Rates and Regulations Bylaw provides for an annual increase for most CSRD-owned systems. For further information please contact the Operations Department by phone 250.833.5950 or by email.

How do I apply for Community Works (Gas Tax) Funds?

Expenditure of the funds will be in accordance with the 2014-2024 Agreement between the UBCM and CSRD, dated July 7, 2014. There are specific criteria and only eligible projects can be considered. For further information, please contact Jodi Pierce, Manager Financial Services, at 250.833.5907 or by email at jpierce@csrd.bc.ca.

How often will I get a utility bill?

Properties within local water service areas in the CSRD are billed annually for water use. Invoices are mailed by late February and are eligible for a 10 per cent discount if payment is received by the CSRD on or before the discount deadline of April 30.

I am moving (selling the home). What do I do with my utility bill?

It is a good idea to contact our office to notify us of the possession date of the new owner to ensure the account information is changed over correctly. You do not need to pay a portion of the bill for the billing period that you occupy the dwelling, as your lawyer or notary as part of the conveyance will cover this on your statement of adjustment.

I am the property owner, but I want my utility bill to go to my renter. How do I do this?

It is the policy of the Regional District that the utility bill will be sent to the registered owner of the property. In order to redirect the bill to the care of a renter, tenant, property manager, or other, we must have that request in writing from the registered owner. This is because if there is an outstanding balance on the utility bill as of December 31 that amount will be transferred to property taxes. Any unpaid debt is the responsibility of the registered owner.

I have submitted an invoice to the Regional District for payment. When will I get paid?

Most invoices are paid within 30 days. For this to apply, invoices must be emailed to finance@csrd.bc.ca or mailed to PO Box 978, Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4P1. Invoices sent to any other email address, may be significantly delayed in processing.

Our Accounts Payable Department needs 10-15 business days to process an approved invoice. An approved invoice is one that displays an authorized Regional District purchase order number or contract number and is received by one of the above addresses. If there is no purchase order listed on the invoice or if further authorization is required, the process may be delayed.

Vendors who work under a contract with the CSRD are paid according to the Contract Payment Schedule, which is distributed to the contractors at the beginning of each new year, or upon the signing of a new contract. For the current year's Contractor Payment Schedule click here.

To increase the timeliness of your payment, please submit a direct deposit form to finance@csrd.bc.ca


I just bought a property in the Regional District and the first utility bill I received shows arrears from before I bought the property. Who is responsible for paying these arrears?

It is the responsibility of the lawyer or notary handling the transfer of ownership to ensure that a search is done through the CSRD to determine if there are any outstanding utility charges on a property and include those charges on the statement of adjustments. This is required to be sure that there are no outstanding debts or encumbrances attached to the property upon transfer of ownership.

I live in Anglemont and am not connected to water, why is there a charge for water on my property tax notice?

The parcel tax for the Anglemont Water was approved in 2012. After an exhaustive public consultation process which included letters being sent to every registered owner of property within the Anglemont Water Service Area, a referendum was held in the spring of 2012 asking eligible voters if they were in favour of the CSRD taking over the Anglemont Water System and whether they were in favour of incurring debt up to $9.8 million dollars to upgrade the water system to provide steady, consistent, potable water to all 1,300 lots in the service area.

The system had been in a state of disrepair for many years and would not have been "water ready" for many of the vacant lots, as it did not have the capacity to service those properties. The result of this referendum was a resounding number of eligible voters in favor of both propositions. Therefore, the CSRD took over the water system in July of 2012. Following the takeover date, construction started on the upgrade in the fall of 2012.

The parcel tax is applied to all lots, including strata lots, within that service area regardless of whether or not there are homes on the lot to fund construction, related debt and further infrastructure upgrades. The debt is being amortized over 25 years with debt amortization being only one component of the parcel tax.

What happens to unpaid amounts on my utility bill at December 31?

If there are any outstanding amounts on the utility bill as of December 31, that amount will be transferred to property taxes. Since the CSRD cannot issue the Property Tax notices, we also cannot collect payments for them. For payment information, please go to the Ministry of Provincial Revenue-Taxation Branch website.

What is the mill rate on my property taxes?

The CSRD is not a taxing authority under the Local Government Act and does not generate property tax notices, therefore we cannot provide information on mill rates as we only have data pertinent to CSRD services. For information on mill rates, contact the Surveyor of Taxes.

Where can I pay my bill?

There are several ways to pay your bills. Please go to Bill Payment to access this information.


Can I purchase fireworks in Electoral Areas C, E, and F of the CSRD?

In the best interest of community safety, the CSRD, like many other regional districts and municipalities in BC, has banned the sale of any fireworks within Electoral Areas C, E, and F of the CSRD.

When can I set off fireworks?

Before detonating any fireworks within Electoral Areas C, E, and F you require a valid Fireworks Permit. Fireworks may only be used, set off or discharged with a permit authorized by the CSRD Fire Services Coordinator.  Anyone who sets off fireworks without a permit may be fined a minimum of $200 and/or be subject to formal enforcement proceedings for each incident.

Failure to comply with the terms of the Fireworks Permit may also result in a fine and/or formal enforcement proceedings.

Download Fireworks Application

Where can I obtain a Fireworks Permit?

Application to detonate low hazard fireworks can be made at the CSRD Office in Salmon Arm located at 555 Harbourfront Drive NE between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday to Friday or you may download the application form.

You must comply with the terms of the permit at least seven working days prior to the date of the event. The fee for a permit is $20. You must be at least 18 years of age to handle fireworks.

Where can I set off fireworks?

Fireworks can be set off:

  • on private property, as part of a public event, and only with the knowledge and consent of the owner and/or occupant;
  • as part of a public event controlled by a public body or society. Written permission from the Fire Services Coordinator is required for public functions and may be obtained by contacting the CSRD;
  • anyone found not complying with this regulation may be fined $200 and/or subject to formal enforcement proceedings.
Download Fireworks Application

Who can apply for a Fireworks Permit?

Permits to set off fireworks will only be issued to recognized organizations or community groups for special public functions or community events.

Who can I contact if someone is not obeying the fireworks regulations?

If there is an immediate, serious threat to safety or property, call 911.

If is is a non-emergency call Bylaw Services at 250.832.8194 or toll free 1.888.248.2773.

Freedom of Information

How do I make an information request?

There are two ways to request information from the Regional District:

Informal request via routine channels:

Since the majority of the Regional District’s information is available through routine channels, you should start by making an informal request. To do this, contact the department that you think might have the information you are looking for.

Formal FOI Requests:

If the information you are seeking is not available through routine channels, then you may make a FOI request for records containing the information.

Unlike routine requests, formal FOI requests must be made in writing. Your request must provide sufficient detail to assist staff in locating and retrieving the records. You must also indicate whether you want to receive copies of the records or to view the records in person.

Using the FOI Application Form is highly encouraged because it contains the minimum requirements to process the request. 

You may deliver, mail, fax or e-mail your FOI request to:

Information and Privacy Head/Coordinator
555 Harbourfront Drive NE
PO Box 978 Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4P1
T:  250.832.8194
F: 250.832.9774
E: foirequest@csrd.bc.ca

How is my personal information protected?

The Act protects personal privacy by restricting the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. Please note that personal privacy rights extend only to private individuals; not businesses, societies, corporations, etc.

When an individual makes an FOI request to the Regional District, their personal information is protected and is not made public.

How long does it take to process the information request?

The Act requires that we respond to your request within 30 business days of our receipt of your request. We will make every effort to make the records available to you sooner, if possible.

If your request is broad in scope, or if a large volume of records respond to your request, we may extend the time limit for responding under Section 10 of the Act for an additional 30 business days. For particularly large and difficult requests, we may apply to the British Columbia Information and Privacy Commissioner for an additional time extension.

The majority of requests are processed within 30 business days of us receiving your request.

How will the Regional District respond to my information request?

Informal Requests:

When you make an informal request, the department you approach will respond to you as quickly as possible. Depending on the kind of information you are requesting, you may be able to get an answer over the phone.

FOI Requests:

The Act requires us to respond to your FOI request within 30 business days of receiving it, although we will respond sooner if possible. If your request is especially complicated, we may extend our response time by an additional 30 business days.

The Act allows us to withhold information if release would be an invasion of privacy or cause harm by one of the means listed in the Act, such as harming a law enforcement investigation or threatening anyone’s health or safety. If the Regional District withholds any information, we will tell you which section or sections of the Act were used in making this decision.

If we deny you access to any record or part of a record, you have the right to ask for a review by the British Columbia Information and Privacy Commissioner, an officer of the legislature who is independent of the government. A decision of the Commissioner is final, subject to certain limited judicial reviews.

Is there a fee to process my information request?

Informal Requests:

When you make an informal request for information, the department that has the information may charge you a fee to cover its costs in processing your request. Departments charge in accordance with our Freedom of Information Bylaw No. 5651

Formal FOI Requests:

We may charge you fees to cover the cost of processing your FOI request. We will not charge you fees for access to your own personal information or for the first three hours spent searching for and retrieving the records.

If we are going to charge you any fees, we will send you a fee estimate before processing your request. We may also require you to provide us with a deposit.

Our fees are charged in accordance with our Freedom of Information Bylaw No. 5651 and the Schedule of Maximum Fees as established by British Columbia Regulation 323/93

For example, the following fees apply for non-commercial applicants (i.e. private individuals):

  • $7.50 per ¼ hour ($30/hour) after the first 3 hours spent locating, retrieving and producing the requested records;
  • $7.50 per ¼ hour ($30/hour) to prepare records for disclosure (includes the time spent photocopying and reassembling files)
  • $0.25 per page of regular photocopies provided; and
  • Shipping and handling charges (method chosen by applicant)
To help reduce fees and to minimize  expense, please narrow the scope of your request as much as possible. Also, you should try to specify a date range, the more precise, the easier it will be to locate the records.

What information can I request?

The Act applies to all records (i.e. all recorded information) that are under the custody or control of a public body. The Act defines records as follows:

“record” includes books, documents, maps, drawings, photographs, letters, vouchers, papers and any other thing on which information is recorded or stored by graphic, electronic, mechanical or other means, but does not include a computer program or any other mechanism that produces records;

It is important to note that the Act covers access to records, and the information contained therein. It is NOT the intention of the Act that staff undertake compiled and summarized research in order to answer specific questions. Applicants are expected to conduct their own research from any records received from the Regional District.

Will I get access to all information that I ask for?

Depending on what you ask for, you may not get access to all information contained within the records that respond to your request.

The Act includes several specific exemptions to disclosure, which means that, by law, certain types of records and information is to be protected and not made available to the public. Some exemptions are mandatory while others are exercised at the discretion of the Information and Privacy Coordinator(as defined in our Freedom of Information Bylaw No. 5651) based on the relevant circumstances surrounding the request.

For example, reasons for refusing access to information held by the Regional District are generally related to the protection of:

  • personal privacy;
  • businesses trade secrets or unit pricing;
  • solicitor-client privilege;
  • deliberations of the Board and Board Committees that are authorized to be held in the absence of the public (i.e. Closed or “in camera” meetings);
  • policy advice, staff recommendations or draft regulations not yet made public;
  • information that may harm a law enforcement matter (this includes bylaw enforcement matters);
  • information that may harm the financial interests of the Regional District or other public body.

If you do not get access to all information you requested, you will be advised of the reasons for the refusal and the provision(s) of the Act on which the refusal is based. If you are not satisfied with how the Regional District responds to your FOI request, you have the right to ask the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia to review the Regional District ’s response.


How do I expand a layer group?

Layers that are similar (parks-related, labels, etc.) are typically grouped together in the Online Mapping and Property Information tool. You can expand, or compress, these groupings by clicking on the  +  (expands) or  –  (compresses) signs that precede the layer names.

How do I toggle between the results and the layers lists?

When more than just the layers list is being displayed, use the tabs located at the bottom of the left-side panel of your map window to toggle between the results list and the layers list.

How do I turn layers on and off?

To turn on or off a layer in the layer list, click the box that precedes the layer name. A checked box indicates a layer that is turned on.

If a layer you are interested in viewing is located within one of the layer groupings (for example, “Addresses”) the layer of interest as well as the parent layer (for example “Property Labels”) must both be checked on.  

How do I zoom to a property after I have searched for it using global search?

When you enter information into the Global Search bar, a list of results is populated in the left-side panel of your map window. Locate the entry for the property you are inquiring about, and click that entry. 

Your map window will zoom to the property in question. The property is highlighted (black outline) and “selected” for further action.

What can I do with the global search results list?

There are a few things that you can do with the Search Results list.

1. Click on the result, in the result list, to select AND zoom to a property
2. Create a property report for the property
3. Apply for a civic address for the property

What does "OCP" mean?

OCP is a Local Government Planning acronym that stands for “Official Community Plan”.

The Local Government Act defines an official community plan (OCP) as a general statement of the broad objectives and policies of the local government respecting the form and character of existing and proposed land use and servicing requirements in the area covered by the plan. It must consider anticipated housing needs, schools, service requirements, public facilities, location and requirements for commercial, industrial, agricultural and other land uses, and restrictions on lands that are environmentally sensitive or hazardous.

An OCP is a long-term strategy for land use management, development, and servicing. This document is created by the community in dialogue with locally elected commission and committee members, and is intended to serve as a statement of the objectives and policies of the local government. The goals of an OCP are implemented through its zoning bylaw.

- See more at: http://www.csrd.bc.ca/services/development-planning/official-community-p...

Where do I find OCP and zoning bylaw information?

For information regarding the CSRD’s Official Community Plans (OCP), visit the CSRD website at:


For information regarding the CSRD’s Zoning & Land Use Bylaws, visit the CSRD website at:


There is also a    link in the Description pane for your selected property, which will bring you directly to the specific OCP or Zoning Bylaw documentation that applies to your selection (where they exist). 

You can use the  link, in the Description pane, to download a CSRD reference map containing your selected property and its OCP or Zoning Bylaw boundaries.

Where is the legend?

A legend is available that defines the symbology for the layers you have turned ON. (Off layers will not display in the legend)

To access the legend, click the Panel Actions Menu and choose Show Legend

The legend will appear, replacing the Layer List

You can toggle between the legend and your selection using the tabs at the bottom of the left-side pane.

To get back to the layers list, you must click again on the Panel Actions Menu and this time choose Show Layer List

Milfoil Control

Can I see where the machines have been to harvest?

The CSRD is currently working on developing a system to display where the machines have been and are currently working.  Please keep checking our website for updates on this technology.

Does the harvesting program hurt salmon habitat?

No the program operates within treatment timing windows developed with DFO and MOE. 

How do you determine where you’re going to harvest each year?

The harvesting schedule has been developed over time with consultation with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, the Ministry of Environment, First Nations and local government input.

The program uses a priority list starting with high use recreation areas such as public swimming areas.  Other determining factors include, navigation, boating, access, timing of plant emergence, traveling time etc.  

I own a summer cabin at Sandy Point, why is one side of the beach treated (milfoil removed) and the other side is not?

Not all aquatic plants (weeds) are the same.  The CSRD only has approval to remove the invasive species Myriophyllum Spicatum (Milfoil) or Eurasian water Milfoil.  It is important that native plants remain as they provide important habitat for fish.  The program has equipment to remove Milfoil weed beds when the density is greater than 75% Invasive.  Prior to removal each site is assessed to determine if native plant populations are present as for example the site between Sandy Pt. and Syphon Cr. typically is colonized with native species. The species distribution and density of the weed beds are continually changing as a result of environmental factors and invasive plant growth characteristics which requires annual adjustments of the treatment schedules.   One analogy for understanding the native plant community is that “Aquatic plants are the forest for the fish”. 

What’s the difference between harvesting and rototilling and why does the CSRD do both?

Harvesting is cosmetic only and does not kill the plant.  The harvester can cut up to 1.5 meter deep and load the harvested material on board for disposal.  Harvesting is relatively quick at removing nuisance weed beds providing a safer recreation experience.

Rototilling is a much more expensive removal process but is more effective as it kills the plant.  There are many limitations to where and when rototilling operations can be undertaken, but in general the work window is in the autumn and winter when the plants are dormant and plant fragments are not viable.

By utilizing the two treatment techniques the program is able to reduce the nuisance impacts of Milfoil in high use recreation areas and not have a detrimental impact on fish habitat.

Where does the milfoil go once it’s harvested?

Farmers’ fields, large gardens, typically the closest dump site to the operations.

Call the CSRD if interested in having 60,000lbs of rotting plant biomass delivered, it does create quite an odor.

Why can’t the equipment start harvesting earlier when the docks and buoys aren’t in the water yet?

The optimum time to harvest is when the Milfoil is just about to surface, typically mid-July to end of August.  Earlier operations are not viable as the plants are not within reach of the cutting table.

Mosquito Control

Does the CSRD treat for mosquitos in the entire CSRD?

No. The CSRD currently administers three mosquito control programs for the reduction of the nuisance effect of mosquitos in:

  • Golden and Electoral Area A
  • Revelstoke and Electoral Area B

See more at: http://www.csrd.bc.ca/services/mosquito-control

Does the CSRD treat in Provincial Parks?

Not at this time. To conduct mosquito nuisance control in provincial parks, authorization is required from the Ministry of Environment. In a July 8, 2019 decision, the ministry denied the CSRD's application for a park use permit for mosquito control in Shuswap Lake Park and Tsutswecw Park.

View Ministry of Environment Decision

Does treating for mosquitos harm frogs and other pond life?

No the program uses the larvicide Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis)  is a biological or a naturally occurring bacterium found in soils,

The  larvicides used such as Aquabac, Vectobac, and VectoLex are species-specific, affecting only aquatic members of the Order Diptera, which includes mosquitoes, black flies and midges, and do not impact non-pest and beneficial insects such as pollinators and predators.


How is treatment for mosquitos done?

The programs are based on the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM), in that the most environmentally sensitive methods of control are considered first. Prevention and reduction of mosquito larval development sites are the first objective of the CSRD.

The vast majority of the CSRD mosquito control campaigns is focused on controlling mosquitoes while they are in their larval stages, (as opposed to their adult stage) for two primary reasons.  Larval control is much more efficient than adult control – it is possible to treat larval mosquitoes in very high concentrations in larval development ponds, while adult mosquitoes tend to disperse soon after emerging over a much wider area.  

When habitat monitoring determines that treatment is required,  pellets of larvicide are applied by hand or by helicopter  during  the mosquito larva 3rd or 4th instar phase of development.

For further information view the:

 Pest Management plan

The CSRD provides mosquito control in my area. Why are there still mosquitos out?

The program is in place to reduce the mosquito annoyance only, complete elimination would be extremely expensive and likely not possible.

Why are the mosquitos bad some years and good some years?

In general, the weather and available mosquito larval development sites affect the amount of mosquitoes in an area.

When we have a lot of standing water available there is typically more mosquito larva produced. 

Cycles of wet weather to hot weather to wet weather again tend to produce more mosquito hatches and result in a bad year. Conversely, if we have a cool, wet spring followed by a hot and dry summer there are fewer mosquitoes and it is considered a good year.

Solid Waste & Recycling

Can I recycle old photographs?

Photo paper is heavily treated with chemicals and therefore isn't accepted in the recycling program.  Photos can be disposed of in your household garbage.

How do I dispose of a boat or camper?

Campers may be disposed of at the nearest landfill (not transfer station).  Fridges must be removed prior to disposal, and a bulky rate fee of $160/ton will be charged at the scale.

How do I dispose of an old mattress?

Old mattresses may be disposed of at refuse disposal facilities in the appropriate designated area.   Mattresses are collected for recycling and shipped to Re-Matt in Calgary, where they are disassembled.  The metal, wood, and foam are recycled, only the fabric cover is disposed of as trash.  http://www.btcalgary.ca/videos/4710172043001/

How do I dispose of asphalt driveway sealer?

Driveway sealer can be disposed of for free at one of the hazardous waste depots located at the Golden, Revelstoke, and Salmon Arm Landfills. All locations are open Saturdays only.  

How do I dispose of fiberglass insulation?

Fiberglass insulation is disposed of as garbage, either in your garbage can at the curb or at the landfill.

How do I dispose of landscape ties?

Landscape ties may be disposed of at your nearest refuse disposal facility at the garbage rate of $80/ton.  Due to the possibility of large spikes being in the ties, they cannot be placed in the wood bin; they must be disposed of as garbage.

How do I dispose of lighting ballasts?

Light ballasts require special handling and are included in the Light Recycle Extended Producer Responsibility Program. Bills Bottle Depot and the Revelstoke Bottle Depot MAY take them, depending on the date of manufacture.  If you have older ballasts, or large quantities, please arrange collection through the Product Care Association.

How do I dispose of noxious weeds?

Noxious weeds or soil contaminated with noxious weeds must be disposed of in the garbage rather than the organic waste pile, at no charge. The Columbia Shuswap Invasive Species Society webpage has valuable information to assist in the identification of noxious and invasive weed species. 

How do I dispose of oil, oil containers or oil filters?

Oil products are only accepted at the hazardous waste drop off depots located at the Golden, Revelstoke, and Salmon Arm Landfills, which are open every Saturday. Oil is part of a Provincial take back program, with depots throughout the Province. To see if there is a depot closer to you, visit the Provincial Take Back Program page.

How do I dispose of old books?

Books (both hard and soft cover) are not accepted in the residential recycling collection program.  The following  locations have a separate recycling option for residents looking to recycle books:

Scotch Creek Transfer Station
Skimikin Transfer Station
Falkland Transfer station
Salmon Arm Landfill
Sicamous Landfill
Malakwa Recycling Depot

The CSRD is working to get book recycling programs in place in Revelstoke and Golden.


How do I dispose of old light bulbs and old Christmas lights?

Lights are part of a Provincial Take back program.  Please check the Provincial Take-Back Program page to find the depot nearest you.  If there is no depot, hang onto your lights until the next recycling round up event in your community.

What can I do with items such as CD's, VHS tapes, DVD's, floppy disks, and other types of "storage media"?

If these items are ready for recycling, they can be taken to an Encorp electronics recycling depot. This recycling program includes items such as CD's, DVD's, floppy disks, flash drives, VHS tapes, and vinyl records. Cases for these items are included in the recycling program as well, provided that the cases are brought with the storage media items themselves.

What do I do with Auto Tires?

Vehicle tires are not permitted at refuse disposal sites.  Most tire retailers will accept old tires, or visit Tire Stewardship BC to find the nearest recycling drop off location.

What do I do with my old electronics and small appliances?

Virtually all items that plug in are part of a return to depot program administered by the provincial government.  Please see the Provincial Take-Back Program page to select the item you wish to recycle and locate the nearest depot.

What do I do with old paint and empty paint cans?

Paint containers with lids and labels, both full or empty, are part of a Provincial Take Back program, and cannot be disposed of as garbage.

The hazardous waste depots at the Golden, and Revelstoke Landfills accept paint products, free of charge, on Saturdays only. At the Salmon Arm Landfill, the hazardous waste depot is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

To locate a depot closer to your community, visit the Product Care website.

What do I do with plastic bags?

Place plastic bags in the FILM PLASTIC receptacle at your nearest recycling depot - they are not to be placed in your curbside collection container or bag.  Place flexible plastic packaging in the FLEXIBLE PLASTIC PACKAGING receptacle at your nearest recycling depot.  Do not place in your curbside collection container or bag.  Chip bags, waxed cereal liners and shrink wrap for meat and cheese are accepted for recycling as flexible plastic packaging.

ZIPLOC (or similar) brand sandwich/freezer bags, garbage bags, and recycling bags are not accepted because, under the definition of Packaging and Printed Paper, these items were not purchased at the store with items INSIDE them and therefore are not a PACKAGE.


What do I do with styrofoam?

Styrofoam packaging is accepted at CSRD recycling depots as of January 2015.  Colored and white styrofoam must be separated into separate bins at the depots. An example of a colored styrofoam item is a colored meat tray.  Squishy foam and foam wrap is not accepted as recycling and should be disposed of as refuse.

Where do I dispose of pesticides?

All pesticides may be disposed of at the Golden, Revelstoke or Salmon Arm Landfill at the hazardous waste collection depot.  Pesticides with labels that contain the skull and crossbone symbol and a pesticide registration number may also be returned to Bills Bottle Depot in Salmon Arm.  

Where do I take large and small propane tanks?

Propane tanks, including disposable cylinders, may be dropped off at your nearest refuse disposal facility for recycling at no cost.  Propane tanks are dangerous to equipment operators and should never be placed in the garbage.

Why can you put plastic yogurt containers in your recycling bin but not plastic toys?

That answer comes from Recycle BC, the provincial stewardship agency responsible for residential packaging and paper recycling. They also collect material in accordance with the Province of BC’s Recycling Regulation. 

Recycle BC offers this easy way to determine if material (that is recyclable) can be included in their system. If it’s recyclable and its packaging or paper it’s included. If it’s a product, meaning it was the item you purchased (not the packaging around the item you purchased) it’s not recyclable as part to their program.

Find out more detail from Recycle BC at this link.

Why does recycling need to be sorted at the drop off depot?

The CSRD has partnered with Recycle BC, a Stewardship agency appointed by the Province of BC to collect all packaging and printed paper in BC.  Recycle BC requires the material to be sorted at the source, reducing the amount of contamination of products at the processor.


How do I apply for subdivision?

A dual application process is in effect within the CSRD. This process is designed to speed up the CSRD commentary function by permitting application detail to be submitted directly to the Development Services Department. CSRD application forms, duly completed with three copies of the proposed subdivision plan and fees (see below), are submitted directly to the CSRD office. Please check with CSRD staff to ensure that all support information is attached.

A separate application form and support information process is required by the Approving Officer with the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure. Please check with your local Transportation office for details.

How do I know if I can subdivide my land?

The CSRD has adopted zoning and rural land use bylaws which may apply to your land. These bylaws establish parcel sizes, exceptions, configuration, amenity and service requirements which must be adhered to when designing a subdivision. The CSRD has also adopted the Subdivision Servicing Bylaw No. 680, which provides details of construction standards for community water systems as well as onsite water provision requirements.

In the initial stages of planning a subdivision, it is wise to contact the CSRD Development Services Department for bylaw information. The Ministry of Transportation office should also be contacted for regulations pursuant to the Local Services Act which will establish parcel and servicing requirements for areas outside of local bylaw application. The Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure also provides detailed information on road grades and alignments and may be able to advise you with respect to the need and nature of geological or hazard assessment.The Interior Health Authority will also be involved in the subdivision process, as your proposed parcels will be subject to sanitary sewage disposal regulations. In the case of a community collection system, the Ministry of Environment may also be involved.

If your land is within the Agricultural Land Reserve as established by the Provincial Agricultural Land Commission (PALC), you cannot subdivide unless you have received prior approval from the PALC, or if the proposed subdivision meets the requirements as set out in Section 5. Permitted Subdivisions, of B.C. Reg. 171/2002 of the Agricultural Land Commission Act.

An "Applicant Information Package" for Agricultural Land Reserve applications is available from the CSRD Development Services Department, which outlines the approval process.  The average approval may take from three to six months to finalize and may vary according to the complexities of the specific proposal.  Local government offices must be contacted for information and approval processes regarding a subdivision proposal within individual jurisdiction areas.

What other information will I need for a subdivision application?

Subdivision Servicing Bylaw 680 details the information required in support of a subdivision application.

Prior to submitting a subdivision application, you may wish to contact the Water Management Branch of the Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource Operations for surface water supply potential.  You may wish to obtain a copy of the certificate of title for the property from the Land Title Office to check for easements, legal notations or Restrictive Covenant details.

This information is intended as a guideline only. While we have done our best to ensure the accuracy of the list of government agencies and land use matters covered in this section, we cannot assume liability arising from reliance on information contained herein.

What services must I provide on subdivision?

The CSRD Subdivision Servicing Bylaw 680 determines the level and standard of construction of such services as the provision of water. The Development Services staff will provide assistance in determining servicing requirements of a local nature.  

Local municipalities may have different standards that must be met when piped water and sewer systems are being built. Your local municipality can provide information for proposals within municipal boundaries.

One requirement that may be placed on subdivision is the dedication of land for parks. Section 510 of the Local Government Act determines when park dedication is required, local plans are used to pre-locate land to be dedicated and Board policy provides attribute detail.  Another requirement of subdivision may be the payment of development cost charges towards a water system that may service your lots now or in the future. Development cost charge information is available from the CSRD or the applicable water works supplier.

The Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure establishes the requirements for road widths, grade, ditching, pavement and other similar services and will be instrumental in the early stages of planning and costing a subdivision proposal.


Can I tell if my drinking water is safe to drink just by looking at it, tasting it, or smelling it?

Germs generally cannot be detected by the naked eye, taste, or smell.  Even very good tasting stream water can contain germs. Chemicals are a somewhat different matter. Although chemicals can't be seen in water, many do impart tastes or odours.  Potable water should be clear, nearly taste-free and odour-free. Any changes in your water could signal a problem. If you do encounter an issue with your water changing, please contact the CSRD's operations department at 250-833.5950.

Do the water meters transmit at all times?

No. The water meters only transmit when downloading a reading, which is requested by the mobile drive-by VXU device. The only water meter system in active use is the Cedar Heights System.

Do the water meters transmit to other meters in the neighbourhood?

No. They only transmit the signal to the drive-by VXU reading unit when requested.

How are the water meters read?

Currently water meters are only active in the Cedar Heights system. The water meters are read quarterly by a drive-by reading device.

How can I conserve water?

The CSRD encourages water users to be mindful of their water use. For more information about water conservation at the CSRD click here.

We've also got a few tips you can incorporate into your daily life to help conserver water including:

  • Turn the tap off when you brush your teeth,
  • Only run the dishwasher when it's full,
  • Turn off automatic sprinklers if it has rained,
  • Catch rainwater for watering indoor plants,
  • Turn off the ice maker when it's full and/or during the winter months.

How do I get my water connection turned off?

Turning off your water system can have the potential to cause damage if done incorrectly. We recommend residents contact the CSRD Operations Department at 250.833.5950 or email operations@csrd.bc.ca for information.

If there is an after-hours water emergency that requires a water shut off, please contact the After-Hours Emergencies line at: 1.877.996.3344 or 250.832.2424.

There can be a cost to the consumer for water service shut off or to reconnect.

How do I pay my water bill?

CSRD water utility customers can pay their water utility bill online through most financial institutions in Canada.

To use the online banking feature, you will need to add the Columbia Shuswap Regional District as a payee and have your account number available. This is the 13-digit numeric code on the upper left hand portion of your bill.

Water utility customers can still pay in person at the CSRD office at 555 Harbourfront Drive NE, Monday through Friday between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, using cash, cheque or debit card. Cheques or money orders can also be mailed to the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, PO Box 978, Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4P1.

Please note post-marks are NOT accepted as the date of payment so be sure to mail your payment in plenty of time before the April 30 deadline.

For more information on payments, please contact Sheena Haines, Deputy Treasurer at 250.833.5908.

If my immune system is compromised, what should I drink?

If you are infected with HIV, have AIDS, are a cancer patient, are taking immunosuppressive drugs after a transplant or were born with a weakened immune system, you need to discuss this matter with your doctor. If you have been advised to boil your water, bring it to a rolling boil for one minute (three minutes at higher altitudes). This includes water for cooking, drinking, brushing teeth, washing food and so on. Any water you might swallow should be boiled.

People swim and boat in our water source. Should I be concerned?

Although swimmers and boats pollute, this pollution is diluted by the volume of water that is in the lake or reservoir. Tap water is also thoroughly treated before it arrives to you, meaning any contamination will have been removed. Fires, litter and stormwater runoff can cause far more trouble than pollution resulting from boat traffic or swimmers. 

What is SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)?

The SCADA system that is currently used by CSRD and our contractors is internet-based and can be accessed through a laptop computer at any location. This system helps staff monitor and control our water systems and allows for better coverage and a higher level of service while simulatenously reducing costs.  Operators at any location can not only monitor, but can actually change the set points for flow, chlorine dose, pump run times etc. They can also react to alarming conditions, such as loss of flow, reservoir levels, power outage or high/low temperatures.

Trends in parameters such as reservoir levels, chlorine residual and turbidity can be graphed over a day, week or months, which enables CSRD staff to prevent any possible issues.This provides for a proactive rather than reactive apporach, thereby reducing callouts.

Example of a typical SCADA screen (Cedar Heights):

What is the definition of safe water? Why is it called potable water?

Water is considered safe to drink if it meets or exceeds all of the provincial standards that are legally enforceable. Water is called potable when it is safe to drink.

What style of water meters are used?

There are two types of water meters used in the CSRD: the Sensus SR II water meters or the iPerl meter.

When I'm working in the yard, I'm tempted to drink from the garden hose. Is this safe?

No.  A standard garden hose has substances in it to keep the hose flexible. These chemicals mix with the water as it goes through the hose. They are not good for you, animals or pets. Filling water bowls with the hose, therefore, is not a good idea.