District of Sicamous
Update: Thursday, April 9, 7:45 PM
Laboratory tests on samples of algae taken from a bloom on Shuswap Lake show that the substance in the water is not toxic to people or pets.
As a result, Interior Health has lifted the health warning put in place earlier in the day.
It was initially suspected that the bloom was Cyanobacteria (commonly known as blue-green algae) which can be poisonous if swallowed by people, pets or livestock.
The Shuswap Watershed Council (SWC) has just released a new report summarizing the results of a three-year study done in partnership with scientists at UBC – Okanagan.
The primary study objective was to determine the sources of nutrients in the Shuswap watershed.