In times of crisis, it is important residents have access to trusted, timely and accurate information to ensure their own safety and that of their family and loved ones. In response to this need, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, which operates the Shuswap Emergency Program, has chosen Alertable as an emergency notification program.
This program will serve the Columbia Shuswap Regional District's Emergency Programs including:
Shuswap Emergency Program (SEP)
- CSRD Electoral Areas C, D, E and F,
- the City of Salmon Arm,
- the District of Sicamous.
Revelstoke and Area Emergency Program (RAEMP)
- CSRD Electoral Area B
- City of Revelstoke
Golden and Area Emergency Program (GAEMP)
- CSRD Electoral Area A
- Town of Golden
Alertable is a multi-purpose communication service used to send alerts to residents, businesses, and visitors during critical events like fires or floods as well as for relevant day-to-day communications, such as water advisories. That way, you stay aware, plan ahead and save time. Keep yourself and others informed and up-to-date with Alertable.
So I'm now on Alertable, what do I need to know?
When you receive an alert from the system:
Stop. Take a look or listen to your device.
Breathe. There is no need to panic, even if you are being put on evacuation order. It is important to remain calm so you can understand the instructions.
Read. Please read the entire alert. Often the area notified by the Alertable system will be larger than the actual alert area. There may be links to more specific maps and information as part of the Alertable notification. You may need to click the down-arrow to see all of the text included with the notification. Calling us before you have read the entire notification ties up emergency program resources at what can be a very critical time. If you do need assistance, call 250-832-8194 or 250-833-3350.
Recorded information meeting
The CSRD hosted a public information meeting with Alertable reps in attendance on July 27, 2021 to try and answer public questions and concerns about the new system.
To help you find your area of interest more quickly, in the video we have included some time stamps.
- 0:20 - Introduction of Tracy Hughes, CSRD Commuications Coordinator, and Alertable reps.
- 2:08 - Advancing mass notification system, Alertable.
- 5:20 - Signing up for landline notification.
- 7:10 - Unrecognized addresses. If your address isn't recognized, put in the nearest municipality and you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, so the Alertable tech support can try to help.
- 8:40 - Mapping shown on the phone (Alertable vs CSRD map). Why is the Alertable map showing such a large area compared to the CSRD mapping?
- 11:05 - Q & A
- 15:30 - This is a voluntary program. If you don't like the system, you don't have to use it. The CSRD will continue to communicate through all its other channels (website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, traditional media).
- 27:00 - Contact info for suggestions.
What You Can Expect from Alertable
Personalized Communications: Critical information such as the type and location of an emergency incident, evacuation alerts or orders, and instructions from emergency officials are provided for the locations you have specified.
Follow Multiple Locations: You can choose notifications for more than one location such as home, office, cabin, family and friends and more. Any event or communication related to your specified locations will be forwarded to you using your preferred communication channel.
Customized Notifications: Alertable's capabilities ensure that you will only get notified when a communication is relevant to you or one of the locations you have specified. You can personalize notifications by type and severity. Receive alerts over a wide variety of communication channels including mobile apps, text/SMS alerting, email or voice calling. Choose any combination that's right for you. Find out more from Alertable's FAQs.
Opt in or out: Both mobile applications and web-based accounts provide access to an unsubscribe feature. While subscribed, all critical-level alerts will be issued for the areas you have specified. You can customize advisory-level alerts to suit your needs.