What other permits (in addition to a building permit) may be required?

The CSRD may require other permits, such as a development permit, depending on the type and location of the construction project. Development permit (DP) areas are identified in the Area B, Area C, and Area F Official Community Plans (OCPs), and the draft Area E OCP (see CSRD website to view OCPs and information about DPs). DP areas are established for land with environmental significance (such as lakefront, foreshore or riparian areas) or hazardous conditions (e.g., steep slopes or flood areas). Other development permit areas are created to ensure that the character of commercial and multi-family developments are developed in accordance with the community vision as expressed in the OCP). Construction within development permit areas must follow guidelines to ensure development is safe for the use intended, that environmental areas are identified and protected and that the character is consistent with the community vision. As part of the building permit review, Building staff will confirm whether any DPs are required. A DP is required to be issued by the CSRD prior to a building permit being issued.

Anyone who is unsure whether a project requires a development permit is encouraged to contact the Building Department at 888-248-2773 or 250-832-8194 or email the building department.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a building permit for a cannabis production facility?
2. Do I need a building permit for a farm building?
3. How do Building Inspections protect the public health and safety?
4. How do I arrange a Building Inspection?
5. How does an owner apply for a building permit?
6. How will inspections be carried out in remote locations throughout in EA B, EA C and EA E?
7. In what new Electoral Areas (EAs) are Building Permits (BPs) required?
8. Is a building permit required for a structure that is under construction when the service takes effect?
9. What are the building permit fees?
10. What can I do if I am concerned about my neighbor who may be constructing without a building permit?
11. What days will inspections be available in our area?
12. What do the new six inspections cover?
13. What happens in EA F if my current BP that was issued under the previous Building Regulation Bylaw No. 630 expires and is renewed after the new Building Bylaw No. 660 is effective March 5, 2018?
14. What is a Site Disclosure Statement?
15. What is Building Inspection?
16. What is the building permit process?
17. What is the time period between issuance and expiry of a building permit?
18. What other permits (in addition to a building permit) may be required?
19. When did the Building Inspection service start in Electoral Area C? When did it start in Electoral Areas B and E? When did it start in Electoral Area F?
20. When is a building permit NOT required?
21. When is a building permit required?
22. Where can I find information on the BC Building Code?
23. Why are six inspections required?