How do I pay my water bill?

CSRD water utility customers can pay their water utility bill online through most financial institutions in Canada.

To use the online banking feature, you will need to add the Columbia Shuswap Regional District as a payee and have your account number available. This is the 13-digit numeric code on the upper left hand portion of your bill.

Water utility customers can still pay in person at the CSRD office at 555 Harbourfront Drive NE, Monday through Friday between 9 am and 4 pm, using cash, cheque or debit card. Cheques or money orders can also be mailed to the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, P.O. Box 978, Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4P1.

Please note post-marks are NOT accepted as the date of payment so be sure to mail your payment in plenty of time before the April 30 deadline.

For more information on payments, please contact Sheena Haines, Deputy Treasurer at 250-833-5908.

Show All Answers

1. Can I tell if my drinking water is safe to drink just by looking at it, tasting it, or smelling it?
2. If my immune system is compromised, what should I drink?
3. How can I conserve water?
4. Do the water meters transmit at all times?
5. Do the water meters transmit to other meters in the neighbourhood?
6. How are the water meters read?
7. How do I get my water connection turned off?
8. How do I pay my water bill?
9. People swim and boat in our water source. Should I be concerned?
10. What is Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)?
11. What is the definition of safe water? Why is it called potable water?
12. What style of water meters are used?
13. When I'm working in the yard, I'm tempted to drink from the garden hose. Is this safe?