Shuswap Emergency Program update – August 8, 2023 - 1 PM
The Lower East Adams Lake Wildfire is moving slowly down the east side of the fire, with growth heading into steep terrain. Unsettled weather today with a chance of showers, thunderstorms and erratic winds has the potential to increase fire behaviour and growth of the fire.
• Heavy smoke continues to cover the area. A smoky skies warning remains in effect for the Shuswap.
• Helicopters will continue to bucket hotspots as visibility allows.
• Guard construction continues on the south flank of the fire from Rawson Road and heading east, to prevent further spread to the south. The southern guard is about one-third complete. Work on that guard is estimated to be finished in a few days.
• All Evacuation Alerts and Orders remain in effect.
• Agencies continue to work with BC Hydro on plans to restore power to the area in the coming days.
• A reminder that the Adams Lake Forest Service Road remains closed and Adams Lake Ferry Service is limited to Emergency Personnel only.
Photo: An image of the smoky skies over Adams Lake.