Shuswap Watershed Council Referendum FAQs

Questions about the Shuswap Watershed Council

The SWC is a collaborative, non-regulatory group that focuses on strategic initiatives to protect, maintain and enhance water quality and to promote safe recreation in the Shuswap. The SWC works alongside organizations that have regulatory roles in managing the Shuswap watershed.

Questions about the referendum

The CSRD’s role is to remain neutral and provide voters with information to make an educated decision on the referendum question. It is also our role to administer the referendum in accordance with the Local Government Act legislation. The decision on whether to fund the SWC is up to the voters. 

Questions about finances

In 2023, the parcel tax amount to fund the Shuswap Watershed Council was $9.02 per taxable parcel.

Questions about voting

Only electors of Electoral Areas C, D, E, F, and G and the District of Sicamous can vote in this referendum because they are the only areas where taxpayers will be contributing to the service.

There is no need to pre-register to vote, as the registration of qualified electors will take place at the time of voting. You will be required to make a declaration that you meet the following requirements:

    Be 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day
    Be a Canadian citizen
    Have been a resident of BC for at least six months before General Voting Day
    Are a resident in the jurisdiction or are the registered owner of real property in the jurisdiction for at least 30 days immediately preceding General Voting Day.
    Not disqualified under the Local Government Act, or any other enactment, from voting in a local election.

Voting rights are granted to citizens based on residency or property ownership. There is no corporate or business vote in local elections.

Eligible electors who live on a First Nation reserve can vote. Where that person votes depends on whether the reserve is located within a municipality or regional district jurisdiction.

Non-Resident Property Electors 

When a person lives elsewhere in BC but owns property in the service area, they may vote as a non-resident property elector, as long as they meet the voter eligibility requirements.

If a person owns a property with one or more other individuals, only one person is eligible to vote as the non-resident property elector for that property. The owner entitled to vote must be designated, in writing, by the majority of the property owners. A non-resident property elector consent form is required to be filled out and signed by a majority of the registered owners.

Out-of-province property owners are not eligible to vote in BC elections.