Dock & Buoy Regulations

The installation of docks and buoys in lakes within the CSRD are regulated by CSRD Bylaws. Other levels of government are also involved. The BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Transport Canada also have rules and regulations concerning docks and buoys and may require permits.  


On August 16, 2012, the CSRD adopted Lakes Zoning Bylaw Number 900 that applies to Electoral Area C (South Shuswap), Electoral Area E (Rural Sicamous) and Electoral Area F (North Shuswap) and specifically for the following lakes: Adams Lake, Humamilt Lake, Hunakwa Lake, Little White Lake, Mara Lake, Shuswap Lake, White Lake.

Lake Location Map

On August 21, 2014, the CSRD adopted Electoral Area B Zoning Bylaw Number 851 (Rural Revelstoke), which includes a Foreshore Water zone. This zone applies to the following watercourses and water bodies: Armstrong Lake, Columbia River, Kinbasket Lake, Lake Revelstoke, Staubert Lake, Trout Lake, Upper Arrow Lake.

On April 19, 2018, the CSRD adopted Ranchero/Deep Creek Zoning Bylaw Number 751, which includes Foreshore zones. These zones apply to Gardom Lake.

On March 1, 2022, the CSRD adopted a New Electoral Area E Zoning Bylaw Number 841 that applies to Electoral Area E. This applies to lakes located along the Trans-Canada Highway in Electoral Area E and the Eagle River. Shuswap Lake and Mara Lake are regulated under Lakes Zoning Bylaw Number 900.

Currently, if your land is located in Electoral Area B, E, F, or C you may need to apply for a Development Permit for your dock, buoy, or swimming platform. Development Permits are designated in an Official Community Plan (OCP).  See table below to view the lakes zoning and foreshore and water development permit area guidelines.

Provincial Private Moorage Program

The Province made changes to its Provincial Private Moorage Program in January 2017. These changes did not change the regulations in Bylaw Number 900, Bylaw Number 851, or the requirements for a Foreshore and Water Development Permit.

OCP - Foreshore & Water Development Permit Areas

BylawElectoral Area

Electoral Area B Official Community Plan Bylaw Number 850
(See Foreshore and Water Development Permit Area guidelines)

Electoral Area B

Electoral Area C Official Community Plan Bylaw Number 725
(See Foreshore and Water Development Permit Area guidelines)

Electoral Area C
Electoral Area E Official Community Plan Number 840
(See Foreshore and Water Development Permit Area guidelines)  
Electoral Area E

Electoral Area F Official Community Plan Bylaw Number 830
(See Foreshore and Water Development Permit Area guidelines)

Electoral Area F

CSRD Dock & Buoy Information / Resources

Provincial & Federal Dock and Buoy Information

Provincial Front Counter BC

You may call the Provincial Front Counter BC at 1-877-855-3222. You may also email the Provincial Front Counter BC. View the Land Use Private Moorage website.

Land Use Private Moorage:

  • Requirements for All Docks
  • General Permission to Use Foreshore or Aquatic Land for Private Moorage
  • Application for Specific Permission
  • Application Documents etc.

Transport Canada

Transport Canada can be reached at 1-604-775-8867.  You can also email Transport Canada.

Information is available on the federal Navigation Protection Program

Other agencies