I Want To...
PO Box 978
781 Marine Park Dr NE
Salmon Arm, BC, V1E 4P1
Toll Free: 1-888-248-2773
After Hours Emergencies:
Caring for our Environment
- The CSRD will become a leader in environmental stewardship working with all stakeholders and implement practices that use fewer resources, reduce climate change and reduce the CSRD's ecological footprint.
- To use the provisions of the Local Government Act, Provincial and Federal Legislation to enhance and protect the natural environment.
- To create appropriate bylaws.
- Protect the environment, human health and safety by striving to achieve clean and safe water, land and air.
- Develop and implement a liquid waste management plan.
- Implement community water and sewer sytstems.
- Develop and implement Storm Water Management Plans (STM).
- Partner with senior governments in groundwater monitoring.
- Ensure Best Management Practices in all CSRD Facilities.
- Reduse our own carbon footprint.
- Implement Air Quality Initiatives
- Inventory and mitigate Methane/Carbon Dioxide/Green House Gases from landfills.
- Create and Implement a water conservation strategy and link with a water system acquisition strategy.
- Sign on to the Climate Action Charter.
- Reduce erosion through appropriate studies at development approval stage(s).
- Use OCPs to promote efficient and sustainable use of land and water resources.
- Perform 5 year reviews of Solid Waste Management Plans (SWMPs) & Development & Operational plans.
- Identify hazard areas in OCPs.
- Cooperate with senior governments to reduce pollution from agricultural activies.
- To enhance environmental awareness and promote activities that protect and restore the natural environment.
- Cooperate with senior government to protect (eg. Riparian Area Regulations).
- To protect sensitive wildlife and fish habitats, as well as lands that include distinctive geological features as environmentally sensitive areas (ESAs).
- Through adoptions of OCPs containing Development Permit Areas with clear guidlines.
- To ensure that new development is respectiful of environmentally sensitive areas, including significant plant, wildlife and fish habitats.
- Adopt clear waste management principles.
- Broaden education programs in partnership with senior government and provide consistent messaging.
- In the CSRD's own activities provide leadership through reducing its carbon footprint.
- Establish benchmark criteria, then inventory carbon footprint and take formal steps to reduce.
- Implement green purchasing strategy.
View our Corporate Climate Action Plan
For further information, please refer to the Columbia Shuswap Regional District 2008-2012 Strategic Plan.
CSRD wins National Sustainable Communities Award
For more information click here.
For video click here.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-833-5950.